Thursday, May 7, 2015


Govt not helping Nollywood by throwing  money at film makers – Fash-Lanso

G angling Nollywood star, Yomi Fash-Lanso raises lots of questions in fans over his kind of person, his lifestyle and his strong points as an actor off the screen. Here in this interview, the good- looking actor made no pretence about what things viewers would love to hear about him.
Excerpts:
Some of your colleagues canvassed for some political candidates during the last election, let’s have your take on it. 
It’s good since everyone has his own prerogative. If I feel like campaigning for a candidate of my choice, then there’s no harm in it, but the bottom line is that we all have the clamour for change, we want better things for our country.
Seems you have interest in politics? 
I don’t, especially in Nigerian politics. I am not interested in a do-or-die affair. I can only change my mind if the atmosphere is better, in an atmosphere where there wouldn’t be any record of loss of lives, a country where you live to love your fellow human being.
What are the impact of arts to the devel­opment of Nigeria? 
There are so many positive influences coming out from arts world. People in the art world are the ones promoting unity in the country- actors, singers, authors, poets and the likes. It’s important to pay more attention to the sector so it doesn’t die. Everyone wants to be entertained, so those in the categories are not supposed to lobby to gain any ground with the government. If the government really under­stands what entertainment means to the country then it is their duty to appreciate and promote it in partnership with the practitioners. I think that’s the best thing.
Entertainment sector is not a primary concern of any government, it doesn’t really come into it, but the role of the government is to provide an enabling environment for them to operate. The government meant well for giving out N3 billon, unfortunately nothing came out of it. Some hungry jack went ahead to eat it up, rather than using it to revive the community cinemas that had died. I imagine the total amount cinema buildings in each state will cost. Any government that wants to come into that sector should ensure the right people are contacted, I mean the core professionals, people that will come with ideas, those that would create workable environment where people and government could make money, not just people asking for money to shoot films. Let the government do what is right and allow individuals to do the right things as well.
You were once banned by your associa­tion for raising issues affecting fellow artists, tell us if those issues still exists. 
That was an old issue. Of course, some of the reasons I raised my voice against them then still exist; reasons like getting higher fees from intending producers by the association and many more. That’s why we tried to come into the picture and see what we can do.
I will say the association was set up to make life easier for people and give them enabling environment.
Nudity in the film industry seems to be an issue with parents. How do you react to it? 
We have different kind of viewers; some want to see blood and some violence, but what matters most is the outcome of that storyline and the finishing touch. We must ensure that good triumphs over evil. Each character must be well interpreted. At least we visit club houses and see people around putting attires that suit different occasions, but if you now say an actress dresses nude on screen I believe she’s trying to interpret the character perfectly, she might dress so attractively for viewers to get the context in the film.
What about you? 
This life I am living is my paradise, that’s why I am working tirelessly to make ends meet, but it is quite unfortunate that the water is not there to quench my thirst. I really want my government to create a paradise for me. I deserve heaven on earth, living conveniently in a peaceful atmosphere and not my own country denying me of my right as a citizen. I think each citizen should be entitled to a monthly allowance from the Federal Government. This would help many of our youths. I believe an individual who has stayed his /her lifetime in a conducive environment, I mean an heaven on earth, will surely make it through to the real heaven (laugh)
How do colleagues describe your? 
My fellow workers would describe me as a responsible human being to the core. When I say responsible, I mean in all aspects. I live a normal life as a man. I respect people for who they are. I take things easy for myself and I know I am friendly.
Courrtesy - TOLU LANIYAN




No comments: